If you’re looking to get your feet wet in the drone world, the Holy Stone Drone HS720 model may seem like a great option to start. But is it really the right option for you?
In this comprehensive guide, I will provide you with a detailed review of the Holy Stone Drone HS720, including its features, benefits, and limitations. So, keep reading to find out whether this drone is the perfect pick for you.
Holy Stone Drone HS720 Detailed Review
- 4K Camera with Shock Absorption and 90-Degree Adjustable Lens: The HS720 drone is equipped with a high-quality 4K camera that can capture stunning aerial footage and photos. The shock absorption feature ensures that the camera remains stable and steady during flight, while the adjustable lens allows you to adjust the angle and perspective of their shots.
- Up to 26 Minutes Flight Time: The drone comes with a powerful battery that provides up to 26 minutes of flight time, allowing you to capture more footage and cover more ground without having to constantly recharge the drone. The military-grade design ensures that the battery is durable and long-lasting.
- GPS Return-to-Home Feature: With the GPS return-to-home feature,you can easily and accurately bring the drone back to its original takeoff point, even in windy or unstable conditions. This is especially helpful for beginners who may have difficulty controlling the drone or navigating unfamiliar areas.
- App Control with Point of Interest and Follow Me Features: The HS720 drone can be controlled through an app, which allows you to access advanced features like Point of Interest and Follow Me. With Point of Interest, you can set a specific location for the drone to orbit around, while Follow Me allows the drone to autonomously follow and film the user as they move around.
- Optical Flow Positioning and Brushless Motor: The drone’s optical flow positioning system uses sensors to detect changes in the drone’s position and altitude, allowing it to hover stably both indoors and outdoors. The brushless motor provides strong and efficient power, allowing the drone to fly smoothly and quickly through the air.
- Foldable Design and Carrying Bag: The HS720 drone features a foldable design that makes it easy to transport and store, while the included carrying bag provides additional protection and convenience
|17.3 cm X 10.4 cm X 5.6 cm
|3840 x 2160
|Battery Charging Time
|About 5 hours – 7 hours
|2800 Milliamp Hours
|Up to 26 minutes
|Maximum Flight Distance
|800 m – 999 m
|Video Capturing Resolution
|Remote Control Frequency
|Return to Home
|Follow Me Mode
What’s Inside The Box?
- 1 carrying bag
- 1 charger hub
- 2 drone batteries
- 1 drone and transmitter
- 1 set of instructions for use
- 4 extra propellers
- 1 screwdriver
- 1 USB charging cable
What I Like:
As someone who has experience with RC devices for a long time, I would like to share some of my observations about this drone.
The first thing I like the most about this drone is the camera features. With this drone, you can shoot 4K quality videos and photos, which is pretty amazing considering the price point at which the drone is available.
The next best thing about the drone is that it is equipped with many helpful features like Follow me, and Return to home which gives you a peace of mind while operating the drone.
The drone has a very compact and sleek design which makes it very convenient to carry while traveling. You don’t need to worry about the folding and folding of the arms of the drone as they are pretty smooth. The instruction guide is pretty handy and written in plain english which makes it easy for beginners to get the hang of things.
Since the drone uses a brushless motor, you can expect the drone movement to be quiet. Finally, the drone comes with a decent flight time which allows you to keep flying the drone and take those amazing shots for longer.
Related Guide: 3 Best Drones For Night Photography
What I Don’t Like:
One of the major downsides of this drone is the slow battery charging time. You have to literally leave the battery for charging overnight because it takes up to 7 hours to charge completely.
Another point to note is the drone lacks obstacle avoidance technology, which I found to be a major drawback. This means that you have to be extremely careful when flying it in tight spaces or around obstacles, as there is a high risk of crashing.
Another issue with the HS720 is its lack of gimbal stabilization. This could be particularly problematic in windy conditions, as the footage can often come out shaky and unstable.
Lastly, the drone has a bit limited range compared to other drones which can also be a concern. That said, if you’re a beginner drone enthusiast or someone who doesn’t need to fly drones for long distances, it should be fine.
Overall, while the Holy Stone HS720 Drone has some impressive features and capabilities, its lack of obstacle avoidance, gimbal stabilization, and limited range were significant downsides that can impact your overall experience with the product. As such, I would recommend looking for alternative options if these features are important to you.
But rest assured, it is a pretty solid drone at the price point delivering many valuable features that you can’t wrong with!
Pros And Cons:
|4K UHD Camera: The HS720 drone is equipped with a 4K UHD camera that can capture stunning aerial footage.
|No Obstacle Avoidance: The drone lacks obstacle avoidance technology, which may lead to crashes in tight spaces.
|Long Flight Time: The drone has a flight time of up to 26 minutes, which is longer than most drones in its price range.
|No Gimbal Stabilization: The drone lacks gimbal stabilization which may result in shaky footage in windy conditions.
|GPS Assisted Flight: The drone has GPS-assisted flight features such as return-to-home and follow-me mode, which makes it easier to operate for beginners.
|Limited Range: The drone has a limited control range of only 800 meters, which may limit its use for long-distance shots.
|Portable and Compact Design: The drone has a foldable design which makes it easy to carry around.
|Longer Charging Time: The Battery Takes up to 7 hours to charge so you may need an extra battery backup
|Brushless Motors: The drone is equipped with brushless motors which provide a more stable flight experience and reduce noise.
Last update on 2024-02-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Who Should Avoid It:
- Those who want a drone with obstacle avoidance technology.
- Those who have a high budget and want advanced features with their drone.
- Anyone who is looking for a drone with faster charging time and longer flight time. For instance, if you’re looking for a drone with a flight time of more than 30 minutes then DJI Mini 3 Pro is a more suitable option.
Who Should Buy It:
- Beginner drone pilots who want a high-quality drone with great features.
- Experienced drone pilots who want a drone with 4K video shooting capabilities and other at a reasonable price.
- People who want a drone that is easy to transport and can be taken on trips.
How To Use Holy Stone HS720?
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use the Holy Stone HS720:
- Charge the battery: Before using the drone, make sure to charge the battery fully. The battery takes approximately 5 hours to charge and can give you a flight time of around 26 minutes.
- Turn on the remote control: Press and hold the power button on the remote control for a few seconds until the LED lights up.
- Turn on the drone: Press and hold the power button on the drone for a few seconds until the LED lights up.
- Connect the drone and remote control: Use the joystick on the remote control to move the left stick up and down to establish a connection between the drone and remote control.
- Perform a calibration: Place the drone on a flat surface and perform a calibration by pressing the calibration button on the remote control.
- Take off: After calibration, push the left joystick up to take off. The drone will hover at a certain height.
- Fly the drone: Use the right joystick to control the direction and speed of the drone. You can also use the left joystick to control the height of the drone.
- Capture photos and videos: Press the camera button on the remote control to capture photos and videos.
- Return to home: If you want the drone to return to its initial takeoff position, press the return to home button on the remote control.
- Land the drone: When you are finished flying the drone, land it gently by pushing the left joystick down to reduce the altitude.
The Holy Stone HS720 is a great drone for beginners due to its ease of use and advanced features such as GPS and return to home. Follow the steps above to start flying your HS720 drone safely and confidently.
Holy Stone HS720 App Usage Guide
You can easily control and fly the Holy Stone HS720 Drone using the controller. But if you want to enjoy more features, you will have to install an app on your smartphone. Installing and connecting the app with your Holystone drone allows you to get live footage and increase the functions of the camera.
You can easily access the Holy Stone app from Google Play Store. But the problem is there are many apps that are suitable for specific Holy Stone drone models only and that can be overwhelming at first. But don’t worry, according to my research, the Holy Stone 720 model is suitable with the Ophelia Go app by Holy Stone.
Please check out my article for an in-depth guide to all the different Holy Stone apps: Holy Stone Drone App 101: A Complete Guide
Here’s how to use the Holy Stone App:
- Download the App: The first step is to download the app from either the App Store or Google Play Store. The app is free to download and install.
- Connect to Your Drone: Once the app is installed, turn on your drone and connect it to your smartphone via Wi-Fi. You can find the Wi-Fi network name and password on the side of the drone’s battery.
- Navigate the App: Once connected, you’ll be able to navigate the app’s interface. The app has a simple and user-friendly design that makes it easy to access all of the features.
- Control Your Drone: The Holy Stone App allows you to control your drone from your smartphone. You can use the app to adjust the drone’s altitude, direction, and speed. You can also use the app to take photos and record videos.
- Access Advanced Features: The app also provides access to a range of advanced features. For example, you can use the app to set up a “follow me” mode, where the drone will automatically follow you as you move. You can also use the app to set up a “circle around me” mode, where the drone will fly in a circle around you while you’re stationary.
- View Real-Time Footage: Finally, the app allows you to view real-time video footage from your drone’s camera. This is an incredibly useful feature that allows you to see exactly what your drone is seeing in real-time.
Holy Stone HS720 Problems
The Holy Stone HS720 is a popular drone that can capture high-quality aerial footage. However, like any electronic device, it can experience problems that need troubleshooting.
Here are some of the common issues that Holy Stone HS720 users face and their respective troubleshooting guides and solutions.
- Connectivity issues: The drone may not connect to the remote or smartphone app. To fix this, ensure that the drone and remote are on the same frequency and that the drone is within range. Also, check if the app is compatible with your phone and that you have a stable internet connection.
- Calibration issues: The drone may not fly straight or may drift to one side. To fix this, calibrate the drone by placing it on a level surface and following the calibration instructions in the manual.
- Battery issues: The drone may not hold a charge or may drain quickly. To fix this, ensure that the battery is fully charged before use and that it is not overcharged. Also, avoid using the drone in extreme temperatures, which can affect the battery life.
- Camera issues: The camera may not record or may record blurry footage. To fix this, ensure that the camera lens is clean and that you are using a high-quality memory card. Also, avoid using the camera in low light conditions.
- GPS issues: The drone may lose GPS signal or may drift off course. To fix this, ensure that the GPS signal is strong and that you have calibrated the drone. Also, avoid flying in areas with high interference, such as near power lines or buildings.
Related Guide: Holy Stone Drone Won’t Connect To WiFi? [Helpful Fixes!]
In a nutshell, the Holy Stone HS720 drone is a great option for beginners or hobbyists who want a high-quality drone without breaking the bank.
It has some impressive features such as a 4K camera and long flight time, however, it also has some limitations such as no obstacle avoidance technology and limited camera tilt.
Nonetheless, it’s a great option for those who want a portable, feature-rich drone for capturing stunning aerial footage.
How Fast Is The Holy Stone HS720 Drone?
Well, the Holy Stone HS720 is no slouch when it comes to speed. This amazing drone can reach a maximum speed of 44 mph, which is pretty impressive for a drone in its price range.
To put it in perspective, the DJI Mavic Air can reach a top speed of 42.5 mph, while the DJI Phantom 4 Pro can reach a maximum speed of 45 mph. So, the Holy Stone HS720 is right up there with some of the big players in the drone market.
How Far Can The Holy Stone HS720 Fly?
The Holy Stone HS720 Drone offers a flight distance of 0.5 – 0.6 miles. In comparison, the DJI Mavic Mini has a flight distance of only 2.5 miles, while the DJI Phantom 4 Pro can go up to 4.3 miles. So relatively, the HS720 has a lesser range.
However, it’s important to note that both of these drones are significantly more expensive than the Holy Stone HS720.
Do You Need To Register Holy Stone HS720 Drone?
In the United States, any drone weighing more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) needs to be registered with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The Holy Stone HS720 drone weighs in at just over 1 pound, so yes, you will need to register it if you plan to fly it in the US.
I highly recommend you check out this guide if you’re looking for the best drones under 250 grams.
Registering your drone is a quick and easy process that can be done online. Once you’ve registered, you’ll need to affix your registration number to the drone itself, and you’ll be good to go.
It’s important to note that there are also certain rules and regulations you’ll need to follow when flying your drone, such as staying below 400 feet and avoiding airports and other restricted airspace.
I hope you enjoyed reading this article. Here is more Holy Stone content that may be of interest;